Campbell needs a trailer brake controller to pick up Cocoon, our Casita travel trailer from the factory. We chose to install the Redarc Pro Elite controller.
It has modes for on-pavement and off-pavement driving, and the control button mounts into the dash for a clean, professional look. The 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser has a prewired connector for a brake controller, making the installation easy.
The parts needed for the installation are listed below.
These are the steps to install the controller. There is a gallery below with photos of the installation.
- Connect the Tekonsha adapter to the Redarc connector using the supplied crimp connectors.
- Remove the left switch-cluster to access the factory trailer brake connector.
- Connect the Tekonsha plug to the Land Cruiser connector which comes inserted into a plastic holder. It is below the orange connector.
- Pull down the lower dash to access the right switch-cluster. Remove the upper-right blank panel blank and insert the Redarc panel. Then mount the control button into the new panel.
- Mount the control unit inside the dash. Firmly attached to something stable, so it doesn’t move when you are driving.
Do you have comments about an article? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Are there any problems or annoyances that you face adventuring?
These photos are in the order of the installation steps: